Monday, August 25, 2014

Motivation to Exercise. How do you Find it? Link:

Summer is not the time to start a running program.

There are exactly too many:
-BBQ's
-Treats
-Interruptions
-Other fun places I'd rather be.

That said, I am already 'in it'... and have managed to hang on for the ride!

Along the way, I've had a couple of friends ask me questions like, how did I get motivated? Where should I start? Of course, the biggest one: WHERE DO YOU FIND THE TIME?

The time. That's part of the reason I love running. I like to be efficient. Running in my mind, is one of the best bang for your buck exercises. It's quick, requires minimal equipment,  no special skills, and its QUICK. Oh yes, I said that already. I spend less than 3 hours per week running.

Getting motivated is truly the very hardest part.
I think this is a very realistic way to look at starting an exercise program:



I actually really believe in this little mantra! Figure out what you want to do! Make it official- write it down/TELL someone (this blog really helps with my own accountability; I don't want to end up being a farce!). Break it down to the details. SCHEDULE it in your life. Follow Through!

Sounds simple on paper, but I believe before this can happen there is something bigger that needs to happen- you really need to WANT it. Do you want change in your life? Do you want to work for it? Really? Are you actually prepared to work for it? If not, you probably won't be successful.
Just like anything- an addiction, a bad habit you want to kick, it takes some serious drive to change.

Some people HATE running. I believe it's a psychological game. I hate parts of it, but I think I know enough of the game to figure out how to defeat the hatred parts (except speed training, I truly HATE that).
First of all, figure out what your starting point is- a realistic one. Can you run? Start with something you're happy to do. 1km? 5km? Walk/Runs?

When I began my journey for weight loss, I was really worried about losing my motivation. So I set very Short Term Goals.  These were about 2 weeks long, and at the time, were weight goals. When I hit them, I treated myself to 100$ spent at MEC. 

This actually worked really well, because I would start shopping beforehand, and when I didn't hit the goal, it was disappointing to not be able to purchase what I was looking at! 
When finances got tight, and I had to think of something else to be the reward. I didn't want buying something to always be the answer. 
Here are some other great ideas I found:


About not hitting goals: This happens! Life happens, motivation falls, sickness and injury happen. From my perspective, this is a bit of a mental game that you need to win. It's about choosing new goals or re-aligning the old ones and continuing the journey when you aren't able to achieve them. I think mostly it's about not giving up when you get to this point. 
No beating myself up this time. If I don't like the number on the scale, I'm not going to stress about it. I keep trucking and try again. Most of the time, I get a happy reminder that my efforts ARE worthwhile soon after.

SO, do you WANT it? If you're already on your journey, what motivational tips would you share? I'd love to hear them!

Here are links to a couple of get-started running plans that I believe in:

I think this is great for moms. Quick- small time commitment, but geared for success!

A great way to get yourself out the door!

I love this one. I coached a learn to run 10km for the Vancouver Sun Run when I lived in Vancouver. The sense of the accomplishment for the participants is unreal, especially since these are people who really questioned whether they were capable of doing such a thing! 
Helpful goal on this one- Vancouver Rock and Roll half marathon and Cunningham 10km Scheduled for the end of October. What a perfect goal (hint hint!). Concert at the end is included and tons of bands along the route!


If you have never run a race (and seriously, I use the word race lightly. We are ALL in it just to cross the finish line!) I really strongly suggest it. They are SO fun!
I know you don't believe me, but think good food, lots of super fun people, bands and the best one- sense of accomplishment! 

Hey... there is this other really great reason I run. I get a break from my kids!  It's a nice small request from a partner if you can- 30-60 mins, out the door and back again. I won't lie, sometimes I think about running a little further, just to get a little extra time!

It would be amazing to get a group of people together to support each other online for an upcoming run.  Food for thought?


No comments:

Post a Comment