Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Healthy Snacks We All Like (and can't screw up!) Also gluten free!

Leslie from  Leslie's FunFit posted a recipe a while ago for Cosmic cookies.  They looked pretty yummy and I loved the ingredients so I thought we'd give them a go, and share the recipe!

Click here for COSMIC COOKIE Recipe- The recipe for the version I made is located below. 

One thing I am super guilty of as a parent is letting my oldest 'help' with baking. I mean, guilty of that extra controlled help where I pour the ingredients and then hand over hand help him do everything else. As mom (and fear of yet more mess to clean up) I do this to satisfy both the requirement that my boy is having good, authentic experiences, but also to fulfill my requirement that I am saving time and killing two birds with one stone- getting some baking done and entertaining the little all at once.

Well. This time, we did it HIS way. Note the mess. I can't say I'll do this every time, but he sure was satisfied to spoon the cookies onto the sheet himself and measure out the ingredients! It did take me an extra 20 minutes to clean the kitchen, and an hour to make the cookies. Sorry little E for trapping you in your highchair for so long and feeding you soooo many cheerios. Sorry dad, won't be telling you which ones K's little fingies mutilated manipulated. Take your chances!


These cookies seem very substitution friendly. I also like that there are no eggs from the helping kid factor- I didn't have to worry about a pinch of dough or 10 (again dad, won't be telling you...) went in his mouth! Very moist and held together well.

Here was my version. My substitutions were mostly just because of ingredients I didn't have on hand. I was impressed that I didn't screw them up by taking some things out and adding others, so here it is: 

2 cups oats
2 cups Spelt Flour
1 cup Chocolate chunks/chips
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup chia seeds
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2tsp sea salt
1 Cup unrefined coconut sugar (or brown sugar)

1 cup almond milk (or other unsweetened milk)
3/4 cup melted Coconut oil
1/3 C honey 

Mix dry, add wet.
Baked at 350 degrees F for 12-15 mins. They came out moist and chewy, and held together just fine!
I did warm up the almond milk just to room temperature to keep the coconut oil from solidifying.

I'd love to hear about other healthy ingredients that you add to these, or other delicious natural ingredient treats!






No comments:

Post a Comment